Thursday, October 8, 2015

Pear Butter and Conserve


Image result for Pears
Submitted by Elizabeth Leech.

Pear Butter

From the Kerr Blue Book I copied from my landlady Clara Thomas, probably from the 50s.

Wash pears. Do not peel. Slice. Add small amount of water to start cooking. Cook until very soft. Press through colander. To each cup pulp add 1/2 cup sugar. (Spices may be added - 1/2 tsp. cinnamon to 3 cups pulp.) Cook until thick, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Pour into sterilized jars and seal while hot.


Pear Conserve

From the Kerr Blue Book I copied from my landlady Clara Thomas, probably from the 50s.

5 pounds firm pears (15 cups sliced)
10 cups sugar
1 pound seedless raisins
rind of 2 oranges
juice of 3 oranges and 2 lemons

Peel pears and cut in small pieces. Add sugar and let stand overnight. Then add raisins, orange rind cut in small pieces, and juice of oranges and lemons.  Cook until thick, or about 30-35 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars and seal while hot.

Wibnote: I have made this one several times. It is delicious , especially if you blenderize the raisins. I didn't have oranges the first time so I did more lemon and it was really delightful. While it was cooking, it was a smell like heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment